PS13 NA – Getting Motivated

This years coming to an end faster than I could imagine, I started 2013 knowing it wasn’t going to be an easy year, I made a promise to myself to not start any new projects until the ones I have are at a point where I am happy with them. Unfortunately this meant 2013 wasn’t going to be a “driving year” sacrificing track time to spend time and money in the garage in the hope that 2014 will be a much more social and outgoing year behind the wheel. When I started the Hilux build I knew exactly what I was putting myself through, to my surprise it has re payed me a great deal more than I ever imagined, while I wait for the tailshaft to be finished (today hopefully) I have had time to reflect on 2013 and make sure I am where I want to be come 2014.

IMG_0174

Im more than happy where the Hilux is at right now, before 2014 I want to get some testing done, build a storage compartment in the rear so all my spares can be easily loaded for the journey to NZ and just make sure its ready for a long year of driving.

The RPS13 is in a good place right now, with the majority of hard times behind it it has gone from strength to strength this year, I have fixed a number of the small things I didn’t like about it, had two track days in it and now it will end the year looking as clean and tidy as it ever has.

IMG_0166

So it was time to turn to the PS13, with over 4 years of limited use I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it. 5 or 6 years ago I did a lot of work to this car and since then have learnt a lot about fabrication and chassis development. I wanted to undo everything I had done and redo it again using the lessons that the those past 5 years have taught me.

IMG_0167

It was an ugly job cutting away everything that I didn’t need anymore, factory sheetmetal is a real pain to work with, adding and subtracting from it isnt easy and it needs a lot of preparation. I wanted to start from scratch and give myself plenty of room to add the new roll cage.

IMG_0170

I believe I can make the new roll cage weigh the same as the bolt in Cusco item I removed, then make new seat mounts pedal box mount and the car should be much lighter than before.

IMG_0177

The engine bay will be reworked aswell, Ill be cutting out everything I have done here and doing it again in a much neater/ lighter fashion.

RAD4-900x599 (1)

The entire front will be remade out of lightweight tube and house the PWR radiator produced for this car, it lays on a 35 degree angle and makes the most of the Nissan Aero front bumpers air inlet, none of the bodywork will be changed and the interior/engine bay will be repainted the same machinery grey as you see it here.

Tonight after I fit the tailshaft in the ute Ill be cutting out the front tubs and cleaning up the rails.