ETS Drift Ute – Midweek edition

Over the last couple of weeks I have been held up by a few things, the first was brakes…….

I planned to run all new everything, by that i mean the following

2 piece 12″ and 11″ rotors .35″ thick in a wave and drilled style (much like dirt bike rotors
4 piston front and rear calipers
Then make dog bones to suit the new calipers.

After doing so much measuring, printing out technical drawings and investigating piston sizes Vs master sizes i all but gave up. Why? Well i have a complete R33 brake setup waiting to go, why not use and save some money for other aspects of the build. I mean there is nothing wrong with these brakes, they work fine for a drift car, are relatively light and dont look to bad after a sandblast.

I have learnt a lot from all the research and if i stumble apon a gold mine then its something ill do later on but for now these will do the job.

Now that my head was a little clearer i decided to just start reassembling the chassis, i wanted to fit items that were “ready to go” by that i mean if it isnt 100% finished then dont fit it until it is.

I sandblasted the backing plate and half shafts while the casing got a lick of fresh black paint.

Share This Post
5 Comments
  1. looking sweet mate getting closer every day. love how clean it all is, have you got it clear all coated yet?

    Reply
  2. Looking great! I love the diff mounts.

    Reply
  3. I know I allot of people are gonna disagree but I really think you need to paint the frame. I can understand why you don’t want to but I think it would look alot better and most importantly it will protect the metal and all your hard work. You won’t have sufficient adhesion or corrosion resistance to the bare metal with just a clear cote that stuff will start ripping off at the first stone chip. Just some food for thought …

    Reply
  4. Awesome Nigel. Yes, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Skyline’s brakes. If you are open to suggestion though (maybe down the road), I would look into a set of Wilwood Dynalite calipers. I got a full set for my Tacoma (front and rear, both 4 pistons); and couldn’t be happier.
    They are fairly inexpensive and work great. They’re easy to rebuild, and have a huge selection of brake pads (Ferodo, Hawk, Project Mu, and many others).
    Here is the link to my setup:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626814106072/
    Keep up the great work!

    Reply
    • Thats what i wanted to run but i didnt want the hassle of adapters ect, i will do it down the track but for now these will be fine

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>